West Nile Virus

Friday, July 25, 2008


Just a quick "public service announcement". Michaella had a fever earlier this week and has really been complaining about her head and stomach hurting. I took her into the Doctor on Wednesday and they did a strep culture and checked her urine. Both came back clean. She continued to complain about her head hurting and developed another fever this morning. When talking to the Doctor this morning he feels that she has contracted West Nile. 80% of people who get West Nile do not have any Symptoms. 20% have symptoms like Michaella's which are Skin rash, Headache, Fever, Diarrhea, Nausea , Vomiting , Backache, Muscle aches, Lack of appetite, and Swollen lymph glands. Only 1% have severe symptoms that are caused by swelling of the brain. The only treatment she needs is pain meds and fever reducers like Tylenol. She will most likely have symptoms for a good week.


This is a reminder to all of us parents. Especially because so many of us live by a lake. Remember to protect our kids and remember to put on repellent!!


1 comments:

Lindseylou said...

Holy Crap! I'm totally paranoid about that...I got bit this weekend on the lip and looked like a Simpsons character for a day, now I'm hellaciously sick and tried to convince my hubby it was West Nile, didn't believe me cause I'm mostly dramatic. Yikes, keeps us posted. Poor baby!