My poor guy

Thursday, March 13, 2008

So I mentioned that Mike woke up Saturday night with a fever. I assumed it was from the same flu bug both Michaella and I seemed to have and figured it was just kitting him longer. Mike thought it was an urinary tract infection. But neither of as really knew. Well the fever continued on Sunday and Monday and he was still noticing the symptoms of a UTI. Tuesday was another horrible day for him. That night he started getting pain in his back and he finally decided it was time to go into the Doctor.
Well all he could go to was an Urgent care clinic so the amount of tests they could do were limited. They gave him 3 different meds and made an appointment for first thing in the morning. But at this time we knew it was serious. They had him on an antibiotic a pain med and a med that turned his pee orange (I don't know don't ask me). So all Tuesday night I worried and fretted. I was really concerned about him and I knew he was in a lot of pain.
Yesterday morning he went in and found out he had not only a UTI but also a kidney infection. The Doctor wanted to find out what was causing them because it isn't normal for men to get these kind of infections and this is Mike's 4th infection at least in about 9 years. So he scheduled a CT Scan that same day, an appointment the next morning (today) to go over results and check up on him and then also with a urologist to do a scope on Friday.
Last night was another one of those excruciating nights. Mike was so weak and sick and he was throwing up all the time because his body was infected. Cancer or some other terrible fate was going through my head, I was terrified.
This morning at his appointment he found out he had 6 kidney stones. All about 2-3m in size. I guess your body can pass up to 5mm so they aren't going in to zap them or anything. So in a way that is a blessing because it wasn't anything worse but I feel SO bad for him. He doesn't handle pain well. So needless to say it is going to be almost as tough on me...okay not really but there will be pain involved on my end too.

3 comments:

Amy said...

oh my goodness! What a terrible week! Tell him I'm thinking of him and you!

Stephanie said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! I just had my first kidney stone about a month ago and I would have rather someone shot me. It was the worst thing ever--way worse than labor! Keep us posted on the result from all the tests and give Mike my love and sympathy.
Steph

The Johnson Crew said...

Those dang things hurt so bad, its horrible! Tell him to well soon and I hope you can hang in there. That really sucks.