Snow

Thursday, January 10, 2008

This is my third winter here. Nampa doesn't get a lot of snow. I know you think..."Idaho? No snow? What the heck?" But it is true. On average the Treasure Valley (Caldwell, Nampa, and Boise) area only gets 11 inches a year. I think we've already exceeded that. Most of it coming down Monday and Tuesday this week. On one hand it totally sucks because most of the population here are transplants... and the majority of the transplants are from California. Californians do not know how to drive in the snow! So we get a skiff of snow and traffic is a total mess. And on top of that because there is so little snow there really isn't any game plan or budget for taking care of the roads when it snows. No salt or plowing. So my roads are all that packed slick snow. And that only adds to the commute mess.

But on the other hand... we were able to play in the snow. I was let go early because of the snow on Tuesday so I was home early enough to shovel my drive and then play. Michaella had a blast building a snowman. Well let me rephrase that... she had a blast watching me build a snowman! Then our neighbors were out on their swing set so we went over and played there for a good hour. They would go down the slide over and over and land in a big pile of snow. Those little snow pants do wonders for speed. The first time Michaella went down she had pure terror on her face. But when she got to the bottom and I asked her if she wanted to go again she exclaimed "YA!" Playing in the snow is some of the fondest memories I have from childhood, so I was so glad to share that with Michaella this week.

Now if the roads would just melt.

1 comments:

jenica heslop said...

Please tell me you got a picture of your snowman? i don't do snowmen, so i have to hand it to you. I have not been down to utah since august, it sucks. that's so good you're in touch with rachael, last time I talked to her she was pregnant, she almost bought a house by me, but it didn't go through or something, I miss her, tell her hi if you see her. Soooo, what kinda good gossip do you have? i haven't really kept in touch lately with anyone, three kids is like end of all social time! I stay at home with my kids, except I'm never home!!!! and then I'm a traveling hairdresser, people out here love me to come to their houses to do their hair, and so far it's working for me! between that and my son(who still needs a lot of medical attention) i stay really busy! how about you? anyone but rachael? I see some people sometimes when I go down to utah to visit my family, but lately I haven't seen anyone, weird. Do you still talk to Laura? I always wonder what everyone is up to these days. it's interesting to see how people change after so many years, some look the same, and others you hardly recognize! well, keep bloggin! i'm requesting a snowman pic!