Spoiler Alert: Political Views

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

ROSA SAT
so that Martin could walk
MARTIN WALKED
so that Obama could run
OBAMA RAN
so that children could fly

I saw this saying on a t-shirt and it hit me as to how far this country has come in the last 53 years since Rosa Parks refused to move to the back of the bus. Although discrimination still exists it really is awe inspiring as to the fact that we just elected our first African-American president.

Yesterday while reviewing her day as we usually do once I get home from work I took the opportunity to have open dialogue with Michaella regarding Martin Luther King Jr. and the importance of this inauguration. It is really quite difficult to explain discrimination to a 4 year old. They can’t comprehend the reality of hate in the way it has been exercised in the past by human beings.
Our children don’t understand why a person with dark skin could be treated cruelly. In fact I went further to discuss the Holocaust a little with Michaella. I spoke of the Hitlers desire to rid the world of people who were not White with certain religious views and the horror of concentration camps. Michaella decided she wanted to go camping because she had never been before... Our children are so innocent.

I’m sure Rosa Parks had no inclination as to how much an impact she would have on the American Race, nor did Martin Luther King Jr. know how he would change the face of the future. We can only imagine how Barack Obama will change the outcome of our children. Let us pray that one day the discrimination will vanish. We still have so far to go. That is why I am so excited by this new Presidency.

Now I’m going to surprise many of you with my political opinions but... I am not a steadfast republican. In fact I think I sit right in the middle. I try my hardest to be unbiased and nonpartisan but, I’m actually little too left winged to be comfortable in a strongly right-winged community.

I actually didn’t Vote for Obama and not just because his political party nor his race, but at the time I didn’t agree with his economic platform. Being that this was my main concern it was something I paid strong attention to. I felt John McCain was the lesser of 2 evils on economic issues. But now I am very glad Barack Obama is going to be our Commander and Chief. #1 he has retracted his proposal to increase taxes based on the facts he has been given and #2 we need someone like him.

A tired John McCain could have never rallied America like Barack Obama has. Obama’s youth and enthusiasm is our spark. He has the motivation to reenergize this tiring nation. We all need to remember our freedoms and how lucky we are to be Americans. And seeing a black man in the White House has helped me realize my fortune to be in this Great Nation. Let us hope for continued progress and change. “Yes we can!”

1 comments:

Lindseylou said...

Look at you! I haven't even began to broach the subject with Wyatt, 'course he does have a preference for girls with "brown skin". I like the proactive approach. I think it's good for us all to be educated and involved and it's our responsibility to pass that on to our kids. What a phenomenal mother you are!