Moley moley moley

Monday, April 13, 2009

Can you spot the bad mole?
I was SO luckily born with a massive amount of moles. I like to call them chocolate chips. Or even my transportable dot to dot game. The following describes me to a T.-

FAMMM syndrome



An inherited condition marked by the following: (1) one or more first- or second-degree relatives (parent, sibling, child, grandparent, grandchild, aunt, or uncle) with malignant melanoma; (2) many moles, some of which are atypical (asymmetrical, raised, and/or different shades of tan, brown, black, or red) and often of different sizes; and (3) moles that have specific features when examined under a microscope. FAMMM syndrome increases the risk of melanoma and may increase the risk of pancreatic cancer. Also called familial atypical multiple mole melanoma syndrome.

Well with all of the odds stacked against me I guess I better watch out what I do to my skin. As a teenager as I would spend hours in the tanning bed I would just tell myself "oh they will have a cure by the time I get old enough to get cancer". Well guess what people I'm old enough and NO cure. After removing 17 moles I've already had numerous "Atypical Nevus" one of which was severe, meaning 1 step away from melanoma.

So it is my personal duty to inform others of the importance of taking care of our skin. YES I know that beautiful glow of a nice dark tan can make you feel great and feel skinny, but it isn't worth it.


AVOID TOO MUCH SUN
WEAR PROTECTIVE CLOTHING
AVOID THE SUN FROM 10-2
WATCH SUSPICIOUS MOLES
GET SCREENINGS IF YOU HAVE MOLES
WEAR SUNSCREEN!!!

3 comments:

Laura said...

Way to be an advocate for cancer awareness and screening! Like you said, so many kids think they don't need to worry about it being a problem because they will have a cure, but there are no guarantees!

Also, do you have any 3 column layouts? I was looking to change my blog layout but I really like 3 column.

Laura said...

I got mine off http://www.thecutestblogontheblock.com/free-backgrounds/category/1

Lindseylou said...

Yeah, I hear on the "when I'm older" thing. only reason I ran for office is cause I assumed I'd be dead by the time I had to plan a reunion! Hope all goes well, good thing you're using the fake stuff now! I love that you guys did pedis! Don't think I should take my kid, probably would have a negative impact on his future. Love the little rocker thing, we're going through that as well.