Civic Duty

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

This morning after much personal consideration I decided to vote. My biggest hold back was that I didn't know which candidate would most represent my concerns. Although I was still undecided up until the point I took out my pen to cast my vote, I knew it was my civic duty to vote. Voting gives all Americans a voice in the democratic process, a chance to weigh in on the important issues facing this country and the opportunity to elect the people they believe will safeguard their best interests. If I didn't vote I 'd have no voice to complain when I don't like the turn out.

Another sense of duty came from feeling I should set an example and teach my offspring the importance of being and American. So I offered the chance to my young American and she jumped on the offer to go with Mommy to vote.

So at the last minute I steered my car towards Precinct #13 voting headquarters. During our 45 minute wait in line and a lot of confusion I did try to get my 4 year old to make the decision for me but she was really torn between Barack Obama and John McCain. You'd be surprised how informed she is. But that said I made my choice (eeny-meeny-miney-mo) and with my ballot in hand I handed over my decision.

At this time I began to walk away and my 4 year old started crying. "Mommy, when do we get to go on the boat?"

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Keilie said the same thing to me this morning. She said, "Mom I've never been on a boat, can I come?"

April said...

that is so cute. I hope the boat ride was fun LOL